Despite all the fancy desserts I have had in Michelin restaurants in France and the US, I still just want a nice, chocolate cake after dinner with a side of my Paleo vanilla bean gelato. I have experimented with several gluten free flours, and realized that I just don’t do well with grains in general. It’s also a lot “easier” to bake paleo, and overall, I prefer the texture.
1/2 c grass-fed butter (I use Kerrygold), ghee, coconut oil, OR coconut ghee
8 oz of dark chocolate (I use Guittard or Valrhona [dairy free] as I haven’t had any reactions to them)
1/2 c xylitol
1/3 c almond, or hazelnut flour
1/4 c raw cacao powder
1 t vanilla extract
3/4 t baking soda
1 t sea salt
1/3 c dark chocolate chips
*Sliced, chopped nuts of choice
2 cupcake pans, OR 1 loaf pan
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2) Fill cupcake pans with cupcake baking cups, or lightly grease a loaf pan with butter or other fat of choice.
3) In a bowl, add butter (or other fat of choice) and 8 oz of chocolate. Microwave for about 1 minute, or until melted. You can also use a water bath, if you like. Mix very well.
4) Add in xylitol, nut flour of choice, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Incorporate all ingredients thoroughly.
5) Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
6) Add in chocolate chips, and mix well.
7) Pour into greased loaf pan, or into cupcake baking cups. Top off with chopped nuts, if desired.
8) Bake cupcakes for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Bake loaf pan for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
9) Let rest for 20 minutes.
10) Enjoy with a scoop of Jöne's Gourmet Gelato.
Bon Appétit !