Summer is my favourite season for fruits; California is plentiful of berries and stone fruits. Bonus is that they are low glycemic. Here is one of my staple recipes that I eat often. It's easy, delicious, and refreshing.
2 Pastured chicken legs
8 oz romaine hearts, washed
1 ripe peach or stone fruit of choice (you can replace with berries if you like)
3 sprigs dill, washed
5 mint leaves, washed and julienned
3 TB olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
*Paleo: You can add whatever spices you like to the chicken legs. My personal favourites are cayenne, cumin, paprika, and curry.
1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
2) Generously salt and pepper pastured chicken thighs.
3) Over high heat in a cast iron pan, add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add in chicken thighs, skin side down. Sear for 2 minutes.
4) Turn off heat. Turn chicken thighs over, and sear for another 2-3 minutes.
5) Put chicken thighs in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
6) Wash romaine hearts, peach, dill, mint, and lemon.
7) Chop romaine hearts into 1/2 inch pieces, thinly slice peach (or grill!), and finely chop dill. Add everything into a bowl.
8) When the 10 minutes are up, turn oven down to 350F. Bake chicken for an additional 20 minutes.
9) When chicken thighs are done, remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
10) Slice lemon in half and remove seeds.
11) Squeeze lemon juice on top of salad. Drizzle 1 - 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Mix well.
12) Julienne mint.
13) Serve salad next the finished chicken thigh. Garnish with mint!
Bon Appétit !